Mobile Legends: Bang Bang (MLBB) is an online MOBA game released in 2016 for Android and iOS. The game has since reached 500 million downloads and garnered 75 million active players, according to developer Moonton. In this article, I’m going to share a few tips as a beginners guide to Mobile Legends: Bang Bang on how to begin your journey in the arena.
Mobile Legends is multiplayer online battle arena game published by Moonton. The genre’s origins go way back to Blizzard’s World of Warcraft series. The massively multiplayer RPG game had (and has nowadays still) enormous success and gathered millions of fans worldwide. Its cartoonish style and gameplay mechanism served as the foundation of Riot Games’ free-to-play success, League of Legends. However, LoL was only available for desktop devices, so it was natural for someone to come up with a mobile alternative. The most well-known (and most advertised) game among the LoL-competitors is Mobile Legends.
The similarities are undisputable, therefore, Riot Games initiated a lawsuit against Monsoon resulting in a $2.6 million paycheck to Riot. In 2020, Monsoon is working on making MLBB more unique.
How to win
MLBB is not simply a multiplayer game, it is highly dependent on team play and so the number one key to success is how the members can act together. The goal is simple, each team starts at their headquarters and tries to destroy the enemy HQ. The team members can fight their way through three different routes, full of enemy towers they need to tear down.
To have a chance of winning, you need to understand your role. In Mobile Legends, you can pick one class of the following: Tank, Fighter, Assassin, Mage, Marksman, and Support. Each class has different roles, and of course, different characters with different strengths and weaknesses can be chosen.
- Tanks are heroes with high health points, so their main task is to get and keep the enemy’s attention on themselves. Due to their high HP, they can stand getting hit quite a few times, and with it they shield and protect other team members from being hit or killed.
- Fighters have well-balanced health points and damage, and with it are capable to control the fight from within.
- Assassins have low health, but high damage, therefore their role is to quickly kill the enemy. To do so, however, they will need help from other classes like tanks or support.
- Mages use magic as their weapon, therefore have a high damage output, while they struggle to defend themselves from the enemy. Many characters have spells to lock the enemy into a position or otherwise control the crowd.
- Marksman are the sharpshooters of the arena. They stay far away from the fight and use their extremely high range to deal damage and hit enemy targets.
- Support characters use their abilities to shield, heal, or boost their teammates. They have low damage output capabilities, so avoid the center of the brawls with them.
MLBB offers a great tutorial, which we show you in our video and beginners guide to Mobile Legends: Bang Bang in detail. My character is Eudora, a Lightning Sorceress (Mage class) and I play the first game with and against AI-controlled characters.